Todd Hayen recently joined me for a great conversation about being in the eye of the storm. He is a writer and psychotherapist, and has a great Substack. His Off-Guardian piece titled War Of The Worlds formed the foundation of the following podcast.
What is actually true?
People usually get caught up in either a blue-pilled existence (the world appears as you think it is) or a red-pilled existence (the world appears as it really it is). An example of the former is Todd’s first anecdote about the Queen.
For the most part, this a fairly normal outlook because it is probably true. It has been my outlook for many years. However, an example of the latter is Todd’s second anecdote about the Queen.
This outlook is severely cynical, but equally true, possibly.
So, which outlook is optimal? Is the Queen a wonderful woman whose legacy is worthy of celebration?
Yes and no.
The truth is muddy.
Todd and I had a really deep conversation, touching on a bunch of things like
- how people differently interpret the same reality;
- why many people refuse to open their eyes;
- ignorance definitely being blissful;
- influencing those in our immediate environments;
- having conservative values;
- not trying to change the world; and
- why ultra-cynicism is unhealthy.